Saturday, September 22, 2012

Primavera

Yesterday, September 21, was the first day of spring here in Paraguay.  Primavera (spring) is a really big deal in Paraguayan culture.  I think that because of the blisteringly cold winters, spring becomes a bigger deal here than it is in the United States.  JUST KIDDING.  Winters here aren’t very cold at all.

For school yesterday, the kids dressed up as different things, much like Halloween without the creepiness.  There were quite a few super-heroes and princesses.  Both the teachers and kids wore flowery hats and got their faces painted.  There were snacks for everyone, and candy was shared with classmates.  Classes danced and sang songs and people were in very cheery moods. 

Yesterday evening I went to a concert of Paraguayan music with the family.  The concert was in a nice concert hall, and many people were dressed up for the occasion.  Although I didn’t understand much at all, it was a lot of fun.  Songs were sung in Guaraní (the other national language of Paraguay) more than they were in Spanish, which didn’t help me understand what was going on whatsoever.  There were story tellers, individual singers who wore ball gowns, dancers, and a band including two acoustic guitars, an accordion, a flute, a keyboard, and a bass.  During the music, much of the crowd clapped or sang along.  I enjoyed myself; it was a good cultural experience no doubt.

Here are some pictures of the concert, and the requested picture of my family.

Hugs and love,
 
Sarah

Traditional dancers with the colors of the flag doing a beautiful dance that you can't see because this is a photo.

One of the singers doing her thing in a very fancy green ball gown.

A duet.  This was my favorite dress, just in case you were wondering.


More beautiful dancing.
 
My fantastic family after the concert.  From left to right: Laura's boyfriend Manu, Brother Dani, Sister Laura, Sister Janet, Sister Celeste, Mother Mercedes, and Father Francisco.
I should have taken another when Mercedes' eyes were open, but at the time I didn't notice.  Beautiful family, right?

3 comments:

  1. Primavera - silly me - I thought that was something that I love to eat. Now it will always have a double meaning for me. The celebration looks fabulous. And your family... how very lovely they all look. I am so happy that you have such wonderful people to help welcome and take care of you in your new homeland. I am very grateful to them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Primavera - I know that word from the song De Colores. De Colores la la la la something en la primavera. All the colors of the spring? My friend Rosa taught me Spanish once, but obviously I don't remember much. Just enough to get me into trouble, although my Spanish speaking students get a kick out of me trying sometimes :) I'll look forward to hearing how fluent you are when you come back!!! Love your photos -- your family looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah, I just discovered your blog and your observations thus far are enough to keep me thinking for a week. There you go, changing people's lives again. And this is going to end up being my mantra: I. Am. So. Proud. Of. You. I look forward to many more discoveries along with you. (P.S. Consider yourself hugged.) -Mel Z.

    ReplyDelete