Tuesday, September 4, 2012

I'll Fly Away

The weekend has been really fantastic, relaxing, and fun. 

Saturday was pretty relaxed, we didn't have any speakers or set discussion times.  It was some nice down time.  The silent retreat turned out to be very nice reflection and thinking time.  By the end of it all, though, I became very frustrated with the social injustice I could see all around me.  I hope with my whole heart that I will be able to do something about it some day!!

Sunday, we went to a nice church service full of singing, dancing, cheering, and clapping.  It Nick's (an RJ member going to England) church.  After the service, there was a delicious meal provided by the members of Living Water.  Sunday afternoon, five members of RJ went swimming in Lake Michigan.  We played in the waves and laughed and talked and annoyed the life guard.  It became some much needed down time: free from thinking or being challenged. 

Monday, we were given the assignment of being hospitable without using any money.  Much like the other members of the team, my immediate reaction to the word ‘hospitality’ is to picture a nice meal shared with two families after church while they discussed the week's sermon.  However, in order to have or make food, there has to be some money exchanged, and that wasn’t allowed.

After pondering different possibilities, I decided that I was going to pass out notes with nice sayings on them in the city.  Anya (an RJ participents headed to South Africa) and I decided to do this together.  We tore up some papers and wrote things on them that were comforting or inspirational, like “one cannot simply crawl when there is the urge to soar”.  It was very interesting and often funny to see people’s reactions as we handed them out on the street.  

We went back to Nick's house for a commissioning service Monday evening.  It was a thoughtful service that included a delicious pasta meal, communion, singing, blueberry cake, anointing, and some responsive readings.  After a day of trying to be hospitable, it was like we were being shown how to do it right.  I really enjoyed having someone’s home so open to us.

Today was simple.  I mostly packed and made sure that my suit case was less than 50 lbs, WHICH IT IS!!!!!!!  In case you don't know, that's great news.  I spent most of the day, when not packing, I hung out with my friends.  I am extreemly sad to be leaving them.  They are crazy, and fun, and thoughtful, and fantastic.  I love them oh so much!

I cannot believe I fly out tomorrow for my new home of 10 months.  I am very, very excited, but at the same time, I’m becoming very, very nervous.  I really hope my family is amazing and we get along well.  I hope that I don’t do things that are outrageously rude because I don’t understand the culture.  I hope I learn the language quickly and relatively easily.  I hope I spend more time being happy than I do being sad.  I hope I make some sort of difference in someone’s life in some way.  And I hope that everything turns out okay, the way I have learned from experience that it usually does.

Love,

Sarah

4 comments:

  1. Great reflections, and sounds like orientation really stretched you guys. Thanks for the comments--I usually make it to part of the orientation, so this helps me feel like I didn't totally miss out. You are in our prayers, Sarah, and the things you hope for are a great list that you are already putting priority on (and therefore more likely to happen). Safe travels, and keep writing!!
    Ken

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Trust in the Lord with all our heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him and He will make your paths straight" Proverbs 3:5-6 You got this Sarah! I can't wait to hear all about your adventure, I loved being roommates this past summer and I know you will make a difference because you made on in the 7 days I got to spend with you. You're a hilarious, hard-working, caring girl with a heart for change who can do anything she puts her mind to :) Have an incredible 10 months you're in my prayers :) Love ya mammy

    ReplyDelete
  3. That last paragraph just became my prayer list for you. I think most people around the world recognize a compassionate heart and will forgive social indiscretions when they know you are doing your best. I know you are going to make a positive impact during your RJ. The people you meet and your experiences are going to change you as well. Go forth and love.
    Jean

    ReplyDelete
  4. amen to all the above. The "prayer of St Francis" seems to go with your path:
    make us instruments of your peace. Where there is hatred let us sow love; where there is injury pardon; where there is doubt faith; where there is despair hope; where there is darkness light, where there is sadness joy. Our divine master, grant that we may not so much seek to be consoled as to console, to be understood as to understand, to be loved as to love. For it is in giving that we receive, in pardoning that we are pardoned, and in dying that we're born to eternal life.

    ReplyDelete