Saturday, October 13, 2012

Tia Sarah

This is a picture of La Amistad school.  The second story is still under construction, but there are two or three classes that meet up there.  Fun fact: the roof is built around the trunk of one of those palm trees.
The kids at La Amistad (The Friendship) school call me Tia Sarah, (‘tia’ translates to ‘aunt’ in English).  It’s the most adorable thing since puppies.  

As I’ve mentioned before, my work assignment here in Paraguay is to help out in a primary school.  I mostly lend a hand where I’m needed; cleaning, cooking, doing dishes, wiping kids’ noses, playing, and occasionally helping out in classes as a teacher’s aide.  The most intimidating thing that I’ve been asked to do, though, is teach English twice a week, to five classes of 20 children under the age of 6.

We sing lots of songs and do lots of repetition.  One teacher has asked me to come in every day and sing a few songs in English with the kids, so that they can sing them to their parents.  Thus far, the classes have learned colors and body parts in English, as well as a few songs. 

It’s been a lot of fun.  Here are some pictures, because it’s much easier to show than tell you all what happens inside the classroom. 

Enjoy!
Sarah

Miguel (in back) and Tobias (in front) are currently not at all listening to what I'm saying and are pestering Roxanne to take their picture in the back of the class.  I think I'd have better classroom management if they weren't adorable even when they're misbehaving.


We're learning body parts, and this is the stomach.  Kids more easily learn when they have actions to accompany words, and have more fun when the actions are silly and/or obnoxious.  So do I.
Here we're singing Head Shoulders Knees and Toes.  "Eyes and ears and mouth and nose."  Typically I consider it to be a success when over half of the class is paying attention (notice the two in the back wrestling).



This is what a classroom full of children reviewing colors in a foreign language looks like.  Notice how whatever in the front of the classroom (me, of course) has their rapt attention.


6 comments:

  1. Should I go into New Teacher Mentor mode and get out my professional teaching standards rubric? No... it looks like you are having a great time and so are the kids! So proud of you Sarah!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like life is getting normalized. Great reflections up and down your blog. I knew you'd be awesome for this and vice versa. Pretty clear you love the kids and they love you. I always note for Amy how much teaching is her ministry, and it looks like you would affirm that. Go Sarah!!
    Ken

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute! I'm glad that you get to work with kids! As much as you are teaching them...they will teach you more! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I linked to you today...just wanted to let you know. I'm so glad you are with Tim's family...now your family! We were so grateful for them. Tell them hello from Chuck and Bev and Tim, please.

    ReplyDelete
  5. forgot that i wanted to say...love the body lesson. classic... Thanks for taking time to reflect in a variety of ways.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Adorable! Love reading and hearing about how God is moving in Paraguay! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete